We are immediately looking for a Food Microscopy Specialist (CLSM/LM and mico-CT) (40 hours) in Wageningen for one of our international customers that is known for its food & beverages, cleaning agents and beauty & personal care products.
All applicants MUST have full legal authorization to work in the EU region independently and be fluent in both spoken and written English language.
Do you have +3 years' experience in CSLM/LM and micro-CT analysis of food products? Do you have BSc or MSc degree in relevant subject (No Phd unfortunately) (Food Science/Technology, Biological Sciences, Analytical)? Do you have experience in programming (e.g., Python, Matlab) and advanced image analysis? Do you live in the area of Wageningen? Read further!
Main job purpose
Microstructural food analysis using Confocal Scanning Laser Microscopy and micro-CT in combination with advanced image analysis
Business context and main challenges
HIVE is our client's global Foods Innovation Centre and home to the product innovations of some of the world's favorite food brands like Knorr and Hellmann's. It is a dynamic environment in which around 500 employees work on the foods of tomorrow. They have R&D expertise in nutrition, product formulation, packaging, food processing, and data.
Science&Technology and Foods&Refreshment (S&T F&R) is one of the major groups in Hive, and delivers new proprietary technologies, science solutions and digital tools for the foods business. Within S&T and F&R, the group Product and Process Science Foods includes the Imaging team, which deploys advanced microscopic techniques for structural assessment of food materials and products, in close collaboration with the Spectroscopy team. The Imaging team members deploy their skills in multi-disciplinary R&D teams, both locally as well as globally, providing expertise and guidance on all aspects of microscopic assessment of food composition and structure. The team also works closely with external partners to explore, develop, and implement new technologies for compositional and structural assessment of food materials and products.
You will be responsible for deployment of Confocal Scanning Laser Microscopy and Light Microscopy (CLSM/LM) and micro X-ray Computed Tomography (micro-CT) in combination with advanced image analysis in the Imaging team. You will also be responsible for coordinating deployment of these in collaboration with flanking techniques in the Imaging and Spectroscopy teams.
You will report to the Imaging Science Leader. The role focuses primarily on S&T F&R projects, but Global and Cluster Design will be supported as well. Support will be primarily locally, but for sites where no CLSM/LM or micro-CT is available also global support will be provided. You will also be responsible for signaling external scientific and technical developments in CLSM/LM and micro-CT as well as evolving needs of the internal Unilever R&D program and making recommendations for capability building and Capex investments.
- Translation of S&T project questions regarding food-structure function relationships into food analyses in a multi-disciplinary approach
- Executing and coordinating own CLSM/LM and micro-CT work with flanking food microstructural assessment activities (VibSpec/Imaging, SEM) of other Imaging and Spectroscopy team members
- Fully operational in performing CLSM/LM, micro-CT for food microstructural analyses
- Fully operational in advanced image analysis for own techniques, but also flanking techniques in Imaging team
- Fully operational in coaching/training colleagues in Imaging team and Open Access users to deliver quality results
- Written internal reporting (ELN, S&T reports) and oral presentations to Unilever project teams
- Translating Foods program needs into proposals for (internal) capability building and Capex investments (either internal or within the Wageningen eco-system)
- Fully operational in CLSM/LM and micro-CT applications to food systems
- Development of bespoke methods for microstructural food analysis
- Coordination of project work that involves flanking measurement expertise (SEM, VibSpec/Imaging) within Imaging and Spectroscopy teams
- Reporting and presentations skills (internal Unilever teams)
- Communication skills (Unilever teams)
Relevant experience and qualifications
- +3 years' experience in CSLM/LM and micro-CT analysis of food products
- Experience in programming (e.g., Python, Matlab) and advanced image analysis
- BSc or MSc degree in relevant subject (no Phd) (Food Science/Technology, Biological Sciences, Analytical)
- Experience in defining microstructure-function relationships in foods by microscopic techniques
- Ability to deliver in a fast-paced, agile working environment
- Must be fluent in English (oral/written)
What do we offer
- Fulltime position (40 hours) in Wageningen
- Starting date: 15 February 2021
- Temporary agency contract with Kelly Services until 14 February 2022 with possible extension
- Salary depending on experience: € 3500-€ 4500,- gross per month based on 40 hours
- Working within an international dynamic environment
When interested please apply via our website www.kellyservices.nl with your English resume.
About Kelly Services
It's more than a job. It's passion.
Our vision is to provide the world's best workforce solutions. We are authentic, the industry founder. We believe in relationships, not transactions. We value teamwork, realizing that we are stronger together than as individuals. We take seriously the promises we make. We are passionate, dedicated and driven to excel. With us it has never been about being the biggest. It has always been about being the best and doing the right thing.
At our core, we are a community. Each day we welcome into our community the varied talents of all people who embrace our culture of service, teamwork and integrity. We offer the opportunity to work with the best companies in the world, and to make a difference in the communities in which we live and work.
Met betrekking tot deze functie fungeert Kelly Services als uitzendorganisatie. Wanneer je de beslissing maakt om op deze functie te solliciteren zullen jouw gegevens in overeenstemming met Kelly's Privacy Statement worden verwerkt.
Met oog op de AWGB (Algemene Wet Gelijke Behandeling) verwelkomt Kelly Services sollicitaties van iedere geschikte kandidaat, ongeacht etniciteit, geslacht, beperking, religieuze overtuiging, seksuele geaardheid of leeftijd.
Regarding this role, Kelly Services acts as the official temporary employment agency. When you decide to apply to this role your personal information will be processed in accordance with Kelly's Privacy Statement
In keeping with the AWGB (Algemene Wet Gelijke Behandeling) Kelly Services welcomes applications from any and all eligible candidates regardless of ethnicity, gender, disability, religion, sexual orientation or age.